The Well Appointed House has been in business since 2001! Customer service and happy customers are our top priority! We are based in Greenwich, CT in the suburbs of New York City. Please scroll below to get answers to all of your customer service related questions. You can email us anytime at by clicking here.
- Shipping & Delivery
- Privacy & Security
- Returns & Replacements
- Checking the Status of an Order
- Payment, Pricing & Promotions
- Viewing Orders
- Placing a Phone Order
- Updating Account Information
- Website Pricing Errors
- Price Match
- Shipping & Delivery
We ship anywhere in the United States. Please note that shipment of goods to United States states or territories outside of the continental mainland such as Hawaii and Puerto Rico usually incur additional shipping charges above what is quoted in the checkout process. We will contact you with the up charges prior to charging your credit card and processing your order. This also includes islands such as Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard, Block Island and any location requiring ferry transport.
Freight Shipping of Furniture: Our website attempts to calculate the shipping of items when they are added to the shopping cart based on a system that is in place primarily for items shipping via UPS and other carriers. However, furniture shipments require a quote from a freight shipping company and there may be up charges above what is shown in your shopping cart for furniture orders. We make every effort to use the most efficient carriers that will handle our furniture with the utmost care. If you would like a shipping quote prior to placing your order, please contact us for that information and specify if you want inside delivery. If the system attempts to calculate a freight shipping amount when you check out on a furniture item that is large and ships on a truck, it is being quoted at a curbside delivery rate. This means that it will be left at your door, garage door or on the same level as the truck when delivery happens - the item is dropped off and not brought up stairs. There is an upcharge for inside "white glove" delivery that includes bringing items into a home, up stairs and with unpacking and in some cases (not all) packaging removal. "Curb-side" delivery means that items are shipped to your garage or to your door, but they are not brought up stairs. If you are purchasing a crib from our Children's Collection and it is shipping via freight (some are flat packed and can ship via UPS) you may be eligible for crib assembly by our shipping folks. There is a $50-$75 charge for crib assembly if your item if it is going on a furniture truck and not via UPS. You must request this service as it is an additional perk but is not included in normal shipping fees and not included in Free Shipping offers. Please contact us to arrange for White Glove delivery. In some cases, we will reach out to you to ask if you would like white glove delivery. **WHEN RECEIVING FREIGHT it is essential and mandatory company policy that customers must fully inspect furniture at the time of delivery, before signing off on paperwork from the freight company. Any damage must be noted at the time of delivery. If a delivery person is rushing you or says they cannot wait while you inspect write "NOT INSPECTED FOR DAMAGE" before signing and ask for a copy. Damage must be noted at the time of delivery or any claims will be NULL and VOID if this process isn't followed. Scroll down for information on damaged merchandise.
Free Shipping Offers: We are happy to offer Free Shipping on select items on the website. This is viewed as a Promotion and therefore coupon codes cannot be used in conjunction with Free Shipping offers (if you see a sale live on the website and you want to order an item marked as Free Shipping, but you believe that the savings of the coupon may outweigh the free shipping savings, feel free to email Customer Service to evaluate that and we will give you the larger of the two savings). Please note that if an item is offered for sale with free shipping and you decide to return the item, you are still responsible for paying the return shipping of the item back to The Well Appointed House as you would with a non-free shipping item. When the item is either refunded or a store credit is given for the original item, it will be less the cost of the original shipping as well. If you choose to exchange your free shipping purchase for another item that also had free shipping, a standard shipping charge will be added to cover our costs. The only exception to this policy is if an item received is defective, in which case it will be replaced with no additional shipping fees. If exchanging a free shipping item for a standard shipping product, you will be charged our regular shipping cost. Also, for furniture items that are being offered for a special free shipping offer, please note that this is for free "curb-side" shipping only. If any customer wishes to have the furniture brought into the home, up stairs, assembled and packaging removed, there is usually about a $125-$150 upcharge for white glove motor freight delivery. Free Shipping offers do not apply to items shipping to areas outside of the continental mainland of the U.S. such as Hawaii, Alaska and islands as outlined in the top paragraph above (Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard, Block Island and such islands requiring ferry service for automobiles and delivery trucks.). Contact Customer Service to arrange this and get a quote.
International Shipping: We have ceased shipping directly to customers abroad but we will ship to any reputable freight forwarding service in the United States. Please note that international customers do this at their own risk and expense. We suggest that international customers establish an account with Access USA to obtain a U.S. shipping address and we will gladly ship merchandise there. Their website is http://www.myus.com/ Please note that there are no returns on international orders.
Delivery Time: Our product selection has been created to cater to customers who are serious about decorating their homes. With over 9,500 unique luxury products, we are unmatched on the web. We are not a flash sale site, so take your time! Our products have been featured in many home design magazines. We look for specialty items that will add a special touch to your home. Several of our selections are handcrafted by top artisans in the United States and Europe and may take many weeks to arrive to you, so please allow plenty of time for delivery. Please check the availability listing associated with each item. We will always make every attempt to ship things quickly. Please notify us if the gift is for a special occasion, birthday, baby shower or holiday so that we can pay extra attention in tracking it's release for shipping. Contact us if you have an immediate shipping need we can provide you with an individual estimated delivery time. Occasionally, items are backordered. If this is the case, we will contact you immediately to let you know. Engraving time varies depending on volume, so please let us know if you have a deadline. If you are expecting a child and ordering items for your nursery, please note the estimated delivery time listed with the product you are ordering and enter your due date into the "Notes" section of your order upon checkout. We will flag the due date on your order and will give you an indication of whether we feel that your order will not arrive in time. Every attempt will be made to get purchases to you as quickly as possible! Thank you for shopping with us!
- Privacy & Security
- The Well Appointed House does not share customer data or sell lists to 3rd party companies. Our website is secured with SSL encryption through GoDaddy.com.
- Returns & Replacements
- First Step in a Return: Check the paragraphs below to find out if it is eligible for a return. Second, all returns must have a Return Authorization Number (RA#): Please be aware that if you do not follow our Return Authorization procedure and just return items to the return address on the box, we will have no way of logging the item back into our system since many items ship from different locations. We will not be held responsible for any customer who returns items without first contacting us and following our procedures. Please contact Customer Service via email by clicking here about a return. Thank you!
- Returns of Decorative Accessories: Decorative accessories (accessories, small case goods and small furniture items that ship via UPS/FedEx, small children's items and gifts) can be returned for a refund, less the cost of shipping and a restocking fee which varies by vendor. Please contact us to find out what the restocking fee is for the item you are ordering if you think you may need to do a return. (Free shipping items returned will be refunded less our cost of shipping and the customer is responsible for return shipping.) Please note that this policy does not apply to any items noted to be "CUSTOM MADE" (hand painted, custom fabrics or made to order). If you are thinking of ordering a QUANTITY OF MULTIPLES of any one item or pairs of items such as lamps please refer to the BULK RETURN POLICY BELOW. Bargain Basement items may not be returned). Decorative items that are not custom made to order can be returned within 7 days of the ship-to date in the original packaging for a refund less the cost of shipping. Please contact us to let us know that you plan to return a purchase prior to sending it to obtain a Return Authorization. We will provide you with shipping directions and a RA#. RA#s are valid for 14 days once issued and we expect a return to be received back within that time frame. Once the item is received and logged at The Well Appointed House, we will issue you a refund to your original form of payment for you to use towards your next purchase. Item must be packed in the original box, must be in original condition and returned to The Well Appointed House prepaid and insured. Shipping is nonrefundable and no COD returns will be accepted. Damaged returns will not be honored. If an item is returned to us damaged, the customer is responsible for collecting the insurance reimbursement from the shipping carrier they chose and our responsibility for the transaction is thus terminated. We can hold damaged items for no more than 14 days and then they will be disposed of or donated. We will not be responsible for items being returned that are somehow lost in transit. If we are offering a free shipping promotion when you purchase the item you are still responsible for the cost of shipping if you choose to return it.
- Returns of Art: We do not stock artwork. It is all made and framed to order and therefore may not be returned. We are able to offer a large and curated collection of our favorite art, but all pieces go into production once the order is received!
Returns of Furniture: We do not hold any furniture stock, all pieces are special ordered. Customers returning furniture because they don't like it, changed their mind or the item doesn't fit because they didn't measure properly must pay the return freight shipping and are responsible for paying a 25% restocking fee. Please note that if we gave Free Shipping, the return amount will be less the amount of the original freight shipping cost and the 25% restocking fee and the customer is responsible for the shipping back to us. All items must come back to us in all original packing and must be shipped prepaid and insured for the full purchase price in case of damage on the way back. We will not be held responsible in any way for furniture or items shipped back as a return that arrive to us damaged. It will be the customer's responsibility to make a damage claim with the shipper. Custom made, painted, monogrammed or personalized furniture also may not be returned for any reason. Brands that cannot be returned because they are constructed and/or painted to order include: Art for Kids Furniture, Oomph, Lulla Smith, Sterling Anabella, Newport Cottages and others. If you see finish/color/paint selections in the item listing, that means it is custom made to order per your parameters and may not be returned. We are happy to provide samples before you order.
Personalized Items: Due to their custom nature, no personalized or monogrammed items may be returned for any reason unless it arrived damaged.
Custom or Hand Painted Items: Any items listed as "Custom Made to Order" or "Hand Painted" are exactly as implied - made to order. They may not be returned. This also extends to any item on the website where the customer chooses to have an item made in a color or finish of their choice.
Pet Merchandise: Pet merchandise may not be returned.
Holiday Merchandise: Holiday items may not be returned.
Damaged Merchandise: All merchandise is inspected and sent damage-free to your home. If an item arrives damaged, it is the customer's responsibility to notify the carrier and The Well Appointed House immediately and within 48 hours of receipt. As outlined above in our "Freight Shipping" section, if furniture is delivered and you do not inspect it at the time of delivery and note damage to the delivery company, a claim will not be possible. Claims for damaged furniture brought via motor freight or white glove delivery not noted when the piece is brought to the home are null and void. Please send us photos,video of damage ASAP within 48 hour window. The Well Appointed House cannot send replacement merchandise or issue any sort of store credit/refund until the claim is made with the shipper and the item is picked up by the carrier for inspection. Be sure to keep your purchase in the original packaging so that it can be repackaged and picked up by the shipper for inspection and insurance evaluation. Once The Well Appointed House receives notification from the shipper that an evaluation has been performed, we will immediately replace the merchandise (provided a replacement is available) or issue a full refund. If you allow too many days to pass, UPS or FedEx won't allow for a damage claim and that will be the customer's responsibility. If for any reason a customer does not allow the carrier to pick up the damaged merchandise, this will prevent a claim from being processed and this customer is not eligible for replacement merchandise or store credit. This also applies to customers who do not respond to carrier phone calls in a timely manner to allow damaged merchandise to be picked up. If the carrier makes three attempts to inspect the merchandise and the customer does not comply, we cannot issue a refund or be held responsible. If merchandise is damaged within a customer's home after the item was delivered, the shipper and The Well Appointed House cannot be held responsible. Please do not "refuse shipment" of an item that you believe to be damaged without taking some photos - snap some photos with your phone camera and send them immediately to us via email and notify us if you have refused shipment, and be sure to note on the carrier's paperwork that you have refused delivery because of damage. Be sure the delivery agent sees the damage and keep a copy of the signed receipt. If you are ordering pairs of chairs, or sets of chairs or furniture pieces and one item arrives damaged, we will replace that item, not provide a whole new set.
Bargain Basement/Sale/Sidewalk Sale Items: The sale of any merchandise from our "Bargain Basement" is considered a final sale. There are no returns or exchanges on Bargain Basement items. Do not ship back Bargain Basement items as you will not be given store credit or a refund. We heavily discount this merchandise to make space for other items.
Bulk Orders & Pairs: Please read this if you are ordering pairs of items such as lamps. This applies to customers, the trade and hospitality companies ordering with us. The Well Appointed House is no longer accepting returns of pairs back to our warehouse. If you are ordering than 2 of ANY ONE item (for example, 20 custom wastebasket sets for a new hotel or 30 side tables for a hotel patio area), you MAY NOT return these items for any reason once the order has been put into production and the order has been received. If you think you are interested in ordering multiples of any one item, order ONE FIRST to see it and be sure that it fits your project needs and then order the rest. We are no longer accepting back pairs of lamps.
Please be sure that you have read and understand our return policy prior to placing your order. Call or email us with questions. Your satisfaction is very important to us!
- Ordering can be done through our website or via phone. Ordering via email is difficult unless you are comfortable sending your credit card information via email. We suggest through our secure, encrypted website or via phone. If you prefer to place a phone order, you can call us toll free Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. EST at (203)-987-5682 or (888)-WELL-APP.
Viewing Orders: You will receive a receipt once you place your orders. You can also log in and see your order history. Please check your SPAM or BULK MAIL folder if you are having trouble locating your receipt.
Checking the Status of an Order: If you do not see a tracking number entered when you login to check your order status, please email us with your name and order number for an update on you shipping. We prefer to receive order status requests via email so that we can do the necessary tracking due diligence and get back to you promptly.
Order Cancellation: Since we strive for excellent customer service, orders coming in through the website are often put in and shipped out immediately. Sometimes, even items that may say "Usually ships within 2-3 weeks" are available at the time of order and are shipped right out. If you would like to cancel an order, we can honor the cancellation request provided that the item has not yet shipped. If you try to cancel the order, but the item has already shipped out and is on its way to you, it will be handled as a return and you can refer to our Return Policy section on guidelines for returning items. You are responsible for the cost of shipping the item back to us and will process it as a return for a refund or store credit. We will gladly assist you with a merchandise exchange.
Items that are being handmade or custom made to order can usually be cancelled within 24-48 hours of order receipt. However, there will be exceptions to this if work has begun on an item before we hear from you. If you are on the fence about ordering a custom made to order item, wait until you are sure you want the item before putting your order in as we cannot always promise that the order can be cancelled. We always try our best to accommodate our customers!
ALL order cancellations must be made in writing to Customer Service. This way we have a record of when the order was cancelled.
Large Furniture Orders: If you are a contract, hospitality or trade customer and are placing large orders of multiple items over a quantity of four (sets of chairs or tables, for example) we will not accept returns unless there is damage. Please order a sample of the item for approval before placing your large volume orders to confirm that clients approve. We do not stock these items and will not accept them back.
- Payment, Pricing, Promotions/Sales/Coupons
- Credit Cards Accepted: We accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, PayPal, eCheck or checks via the mail.
- Coupon Code Restrictions: Please note that we currently have a 15% "New Customer" coupon code available to people who sign up for it. This may be applied to full priced items only. It may not be used for sale items, bargain basement or sidewalk sale items, or items that have a "special price" listed. Most coupon codes given during sales have restrictions attached to them or brands that are exempt, so be sure to check sale details when ordering! If an item is exempt and you place an order, we willl notify you! Exempt brands include: Oomph Lighting, Coleen & Company Lighting, Coral Door, AFK Furniture, Newport Cottages, Kingsley Bate, Safavieh, select artwork, certain decoupage lamps that are shipped from Europe and custom made playhouses or treehouses. Coupons of any sort do not apply to these brands.
- Pricing Errors on the Website: We have amost 10,000 SKUs on our website and a large backend database. Sometimes there are pricing errors based on either computer error or human error. In addition, price fluxuations can happen when manufacturers distribute new price lists or pricing guidelines. Prices are subject to change at any time and pricing due to errors will not be honored. We will cancel and notify you with a full refund if an error in pricing is found.
- Price Match Policy: If you see a better price at one of our competitors, but you would prefer to order through us, feel free to email us with the price advertised and we can see if we can price match. You must include a link to the competitor's page.
- Updating Account Information
- Please contact us anytime to update your account information or shipping address for an order that is pending. If you will be away, please notify us and we will attempt to have UPS or FedEx deliver during a time when you will be present to accept your packages.